Monday, November 27, 2006

Homeschooling Grandparents

I just read an interesting entry about grandparents who homeschool their grandkids. What an amazing idea!

Of course, that's the root of my quandaray, really. In order to be able to afford homeschooling (that is, me quitting my job and having the family rely on one income), I need to move away from my parents. There's no way we could afford it out here in Silicon Valley.

That's probably the number one reason we haven't moved yet. I can't imagine being away from my parents, who are two of my absolute best friends. And great parents. And excellent drop-of-the-hat babysitters. I love to watch my mom play with my kids. I can't imagine interfering with that wonderful relationship. Or my relationship with them. And, now that they are getting older, I just want to be there to support them if they ever ever ever need it at all.

But staying here for them means sending the kids to public school. In California. Gah. If I want them to see a half decent school, it means moving to ultra yuppieville. Not only do I not want to pay that kind of money on a house (renting, that is, I could never afford a $2 million home), I don't really want to live around a lot of the people who live there. Not to mention, it means giving up on owning a house.

Life has too many difficult decisions. All I know is I can't stay at my present job. I won't really go into details (I have no desire to Dooce myself!), but I really just don't like it, despite the excellent pay, benefits, and perks it has. The project is just too demoralizing.

2 comments:

Spunky said...

My thoughts...

You only have one life to live. Live according to your convictions and your principles. We have lived our whole lives by deciding what we believe to be the best choice not necessarily the most financially expeidient choice. It's hard, but we have no regrets.

Lady Liberty said...

It is a hard choice. I feel your pain.(Sorry to put it that way.) Seperating from parents is hard especially when you know you will need to take care of them when they are older. You are quite caught between two duties. The biggest problem is not really all the work(both at home and work), but the pain of not being able to do what you know is right. I really have no suggestions, but is there any way your parents can help you out.