Tuesday, May 30, 2006

How Am I Doing on Those Virtues?

I did stop actively journaling about my attempts at improving myself as Franklin did, by trying to improve myself in a different virtue a week... but that doesn't mean I haven't improved at all! I'd say I've just been focusing on the few virtues that I'd really like to get more focus on right now, and save some of the other ones for later. So lets see how I've been doing on those virtues for the past six months or so.

Temperance

Doing very well here, I'd say. I'm pregnant, so my caffeine habit is at a minimum (I drink one cup of coffee a day), I drink half a glass of wine maybe every couple of weeks. I don't generally over-eat because it just feels too uncomfortable with my already huge stomach. I've been eating low carb, trying to avoid another diagnosis of gestational diabetes (and I did it! No GD this time!). I cook dinner almost every night, and it tends to be something tasty and pretty healthy. I'm having a lot more salads, too.

Silence

I'd say I'm about the same here. I mean, I don't really have time for much "trifling conversation" but I don't think I've done anything in particular to weed it out.

Order

I'd say this is right up FlyLady's alley! I'm working on finding a place for everything (even if that place is the trash or goodwill, or whatever!) and finding a time to do all the important things I have to do. Those times might not be specific hours and minutes, but certain parts of the day. Very FlyLady, and I'm making a lot of progress here.

Resolution

I'd say I'm also improving here. Instead of making lists that I never follow, and then get guilty about not following it, I do more of the things I resolve to do more often. Still, like all other things, there is room for improvement.

Frugality

We are certainly more frugal in one very big way -- grocery store shopping! Fewer trips, less wasted food, less eating out. I think DH has cut down on some of his spending, but we could certainly work more here. But I do notice the grocery bill difference for sure!

Industry

I'd say this is definitely improved. I do spend more time working and less time resting. However, some people might say that isn't necessarily a good thing in a 29-week-pregnant lady. ;) I really do need to improve in this, though I have improved some. I do still spend a little too much time "waking up" in the morning. Heck, right now I should be getting work done and instead I'm journaling.

Sincerity

Okay, probably not doing so hot here. I'm pregnant. Things just spill out.

Justice

Probably about the same as before. I don't think I have much of a problem with this.

Moderation

Eh, once again -- I'm pregnant. Not an excuse, but it isn't something I've been able to manage to curtail. I do harbor resentment, and I am allowing things to get to me.

Cleanliness

Much improved!!

Tranquility

As far as my son is concerned, I think I'm mostly better at this, though when I'm in a mood, I'm certainly not that great. My patience sometimes flies out the window. With dh and at work, I'm probably far worse. It's been hard, and I know I'm letting to beat me up inside.

Chastity

...still none of your business. ;)

Humility

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble.... and I'm not.

No comments: